Honor Those Who Have Served our Country This Veterans Day
Few groups deserve recognition, respect and gratitude more than the brave women and men who have served in the U.S. military. These outstanding individuals sacrificed so much so that we can preserve our way of life.
On Veterans Day, this November 11th, we would like to extend our sincere thanks to those who have served so selflessly and courageously.
At Senior Living Options of the Desert, we’re proud to have helped many veterans and their families find independent living, assisted living and memory care communities in Southern California.
No matter where you live or how much time you have, there are a number of ways you can honor a veteran who has spent his or her life protecting our values and our democracy. Here are 9 ideas that you can consider!
- Say “thank you!” If you personally know a veteran, whether they live close by, or states away, make an effort to simply say “thanks!” If your schedule is too hectic for a visit, a quick phone call or text is sure to be appreciated.
- Write an old-fashioned letter or send a care package. Looking for something a little more personal than a text or email? Send a veteran a handwritten letter or care package with a small gift and some of their favorite snacks. This is an especially considerate option because vets can treasure your letter or gift for years to come!
- Treat a vet to lunch, dinner or a cup of coffee. Inviting a veteran to a popular local restaurant or cozy coffeehouse is guaranteed to make their day. Prepare a few questions to ask about their time in the military. Being the center of attention for an hour or so will be an even better treat than the meal!
- Offer to help with household chores. This small act of gratitude speaks volumes. Even if you only have half an hour to spare, offer to help a vet with household tasks such as vacuuming, dusting or mowing the yard.
- Make a commitment to volunteer. Finding meaningful volunteer opportunities is easy with the use of the internet. Search the Veterans & Military Families category on www.VolunteerMatch.com to find a hospital, charity or other organization that needs help near you!
- Donate to a cause that supports veterans. Consider making a donation to groups such as the Wounded Warrior Project or USO, and encourage your friends and family members to do the same.
- Invite a veteran to speak at your child’s school. Many children don’t fully understand the sacrifices veterans have made to protect us and our freedoms, but you can do something to change that! Ask your child’s principal if they accept visiting speakers. If they do, invite a veteran to talk about their experiences or host a Q&A session at your child’s school.
- Support veteran-owned companies. It is estimated that there are nearly 2.5 million veteran-owned businesses in the United States – that’s nearly 10 percent of all businesses nationwide. Find a veteran-owned company near you and pay them a visit today!
- Attend your local Veterans Day parade. Bring the whole family to your city’s Veterans Day parade and show your support in person! The Palm Springs Veterans Day Parade starts at 3:30 pm on Monday, November 11th.
Whether you have five minutes or five hours to spare, you can make a huge difference in a veteran’s life this November 11th. We hope this has given you some ideas to consider.
About Senior Living Options of the Desert
Senior Living Options of the Desert is Southern California’s leader in senior living referral. We’ve been helping families find compassionate care for their loved ones since 2004.
Whether you’re looking for independent living, assisted living, memory care, or another form of senior care, our local family advisors will help you find the right option for you and your family. Our mission is to provide families with the best residential care options based on care needs and location, no matter what the budget. And, our services are always FREE.
You can get more information at www.seniorlivingoptionsofthedesert.com.